Monday, January 25, 2010

Reading Response #1

Ch. 1 They Say, I Say Exercises


#1


a.      a.  It has become common today to not fully disclose information about the toxic waste in the water even though it is necessary for the livelihood of our community.  Our experiments suggest that there are dangerous levels of Chemical X in the Ohio groundwater.


b.     b.   A number of reviews have recently suggested that this book is brilliant and persuasive.  My own view is that this novel has certain flaws.


c.      c.  You would think that football was a sport that was appreciated nationwide.  However, some people agree that football is so boring.


d.      d.  It has become common today to dismiss females’ outlook on class discussions since it is often thought that male students often dominate class discussions.


e.      e.  Many people assume that Sex and the City is only about long-lasting friendships.  In my view the film is really about the problems of romantic relationships.


f.       f.  In their recent investigations, college professors have offered harsh critiques of students for not using templates given to improve their writing.  I’m afraid that templates like the ones in this book will stifle my creativity.


#2


If ever there was an idea custom-made for a Jay Leno monologue, this was it:  Americans suggesting that football is so boring.  Isn’t that like saying kids hate candy?  Whatever happened to enjoying a classic pastime?
            I happen to sympathize with these football-bashing Americans, though, perhaps because I’ve never enjoyed football due to my lack of understanding for it.


1 comments:

piink loverrrr =] said...

Well done Sydney! In the first exercise, I like how you broke most of the sentences up into two. It makes it seem as if there is more information that backs up what "they say." However, it IS supposed to be what "they" say, so maybe you shouldn't have put your opinion in parts B and E. That suggests that you, and only you, feel this way.
I definitely agree with the idea in exercise two. I don't know much about football myself, and so, I think it's quite boring. I would never sit around watching it for so long. However, I think you could have worded that idea differently, maybe something like, "Americans think football is boring," or, "Many Americans says football is boring." It just sounded a bit awkward when i was reading it. Overall, you did a pretty good job!

Post a Comment